Friday, April 3, 2009

We have pictures...










Okay, so the pictures posted a little differently than I expected but here is what's going on. The first picture is little Wyatt (2 lbs 5 oz.) and the second picture is little Whitley (2 lbs 6 oz.). The last two pictures are immediately after birth; first Whitley then Wyatt.
Teri is doing absolutely great. I honestly don't think I could have made it this far without her composure and faith. Her body is healing well too. Since both babies were born vaginally, her recovery time is much shorter and she should be released Sunday. She is amazing.
I was able to make 3 trips down to see them both and Teri was able to make 2. Wyatt is doing well. He has a small hole in his heart which sounds really bad but is actually common to preemies. If I understood the nurse correctly, over the phone before we called it a night, Wyatt was stepped down to a different ventilator, which is good. His potassium levels were a little low but that can be fixed with some meds in the IV.
The third trip down started off sort of nightmarish. As we were waiting to be called into the NICU, a nurse steps out and says the NICU will be closed for a while. Fearing the worst, Teri commanded me to call them from our room to make sure everything was ok. At that time, Dr. Patel, the neonatologist, was performing a "procedure" on Whitley. Yes, it scared us both so badly that words cannot explain. After the longest hour of our lives, we were called to go to the NICU. God's hand was on Whitley the entire time, like it always has been, and she was fine. The doc had to insert another tube into her other little lung to help with her breathing. As of right now, which as been a few hours later, she is doing fine.
My brother had a good thought, one that I want to relay to the rest of the world and one that many people share. He said he just can't believe that God would bring Whitley this far just to have her stop now. I belive that. We have to believe that.
Again, thanks to everyone for everything.
Jared, Teri, Whitley, and Wyatt Self

9 comments:

Crystal said...

Two precious miracles!! You are a mommy and daddy now! It looks like Wyatt has a lot of hair, kinda looks like his daddy. I agree with what your brother said, it is obvious that Whitley has a special place in God's heart. I know this time is hard, keep your chin up. Your family is being flooded with prayers.

Kristi said...

Precious babies! Thank you, Jared, for taking time to post them. I prayed that Whitley's lungs were healing each time I woke during the night. Looking forward to an update today.

Anonymous said...

congrats! Jared thank u so much for posting these beautiful pictures. my girlfriends & emily via phone had a prayer circle for all of u & lifted Whitley up & we will continue to do so. love you both! Gods Speed! ~Sarah

aWk said...

Jared,
Thank you so much for taking the time to post updates and pictures for all of us. I know you guys are very busy. These blogs help us to understand what's going on and specific needs for prayer.
So, Good job Daddy! It's so wonderful to see pics of those beautiful babies. THEY LOOK BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!! I'm so glad to hear that Teri is recovering well. That's just awesome! Let us hear from you when you have a 'calm' second. We love you and are continuing to lift you guys up in paryer.
~Amanda~

Anonymous said...

They are precious. I will continue to prayfor both babies but am overjoyed at the positive news, I've been so worried.

Teri, I'm glad to hear that you are recovering well and can't believe that you didn't have to have a c-section, that's so great.

I love the pics and can't wait to meet Whitley and Wyatt.

Emily said...

Oh my goodness.. they are precious. Just like I knew they would be. We are still continuing to pray for both babies. I was so happy to wake up to these beautiful pictures this morning. They are definitely bigger than I had expected. Please keep posting these updates. There are so many people praying for yall. We love yall very much.

Meagan Yeates said...

You two are amazing!!! Brooks and I are thinking of you and praying! God is taking care of both of them!!!! Call if there is anything you need or we can do!!! The babies are beautiful and we can't wait to see both of them!

Brooks and Meagan Yeates

Anonymous said...

They are absolutely precious!!! We are so glad to hear all of the positive news about Wyatt and Whitley. We will continue praying that there is nothing but positive news from here on... We love you guys, keep your heads up and keep your faith up like you have been.

Ginger Wilson said...

Jared and Teri, I will add your sweet little angels to my prayer list! I'm so glad the two of you and Pat and Jana are able to go through some of this together! I know you guys will be able to share stories and comfort each other.

You guys take care!

Followers

About Me

My photo
We are currently living in West Texas. We are loving every minute of our time together out here--however, we look forward to moving closer to family soon!