Thursday, April 16, 2009

Day 13 in the NICU

Today has been a great day. I have been over to see the babies about 4 times today and I stay at about an hour each time. The hardest part for me when entering the doors of the NICU is deciding which baby to visit first.

During my first visit, I was met at the Whitley's bedside by a RT. She told me that Whitley's O2 sats had dropped twice to the 40's and they had to bag her to get her back up. She is up on her vent settings and seems to be doing well. Her O2 sats this evening when I left wer up in the high 90's.

Other than the scare this morning---Littlle Miss Whitley is doing just great. She has color in her isolette now. The night nurse changed out the old white sheet she was laying on and replaced it with a pink receiving blanket I brought from home. She is so colorful and wears pink well (might I add). Her labs are coming back great. The RT did a blood gas right before I went in tonight. Her levels were within the parameters but not well enough to decrease the vent settings. We keep praying that she gets off of it soon. She is up to 3cc's every 3 hours on her feedings. This is an improvement as well. Her little tummy is not near as distended as it was a few days ago.

Wyatt is a totally different baby since he has been off the vent. He doesn't seem to have a care in the world. His little face is beginning to fill out. He is looking more like Jared everyday. He is now down to 23% O2 (we breath 21%). He loves to lay on his tummy. He is now eating 5cc's every 3 hours. He is going to be our little "porker". The nurse today let me assist in his feedings. It was great to help. I will be happy for the first time we get to feed him through a bottle. The day nurse put a great big note in the chart that mom and dad want to dress him for the first time. I haven't put any cute preemie clothes in his drawer for that reason...we want to be the first to dress him.

Can you believe that tomorrow is 2 weeks? We have been truly blessed and feel like we could not ask for more. Thanks for all the encouraging comments. Please keep them coming...they truly make our day. Thank you Granny Faith and Oma for running around looking for simple things that I cannot come by so easily.

Teri, Jared, Whitley, and Wyatt

4 comments:

granny f said...

love you

Amanda Kirkpatrick said...

so sweet!!! love to read these positive posts!!!! still praying for y'all every day!!!

Jackie said...

I just love waking up every morning and seeing a new post especially with the good news! Whitley and Wyatt are truly troopers like their Mom & Dad.We are praying, praying, and praying some more for your family. Jackie

Emily said...

You better post some pictures of Wyatt when you dress him! Cuties!!!

Followers

About Me

My photo
We are currently living in West Texas. We are loving every minute of our time together out here--however, we look forward to moving closer to family soon!