Saturday, April 4, 2009

Our two miracle's first night.

God bless the NICU nurses and staff. They have an unbeliveable job and responsibility that rival most others. Since this whole ordeal/adventure/rollercoaster started, we have been blessed to have doctors and nurses who realize they are not God. That goes a long way with Teri, me, and the rest of our families and I also believe that is helping our babies out.

On to the babies. Little Whitley's O2 sats went from the high 70's yesterday evening to the high 90's and even 100 last night. For clarification, O2 sats is medical jargon for the oxygen concentration of the blood. The higher, the better. Even this morning she was still in the high 90's. As far as my medical experience can tell me I am guessing that the nitric oxide is helping to "jump start" her little lungs like the neo was telling us. However, that is just for right now. I hate to sound pesimestic but we were warned of the "honeymoon phase". Evidentally with preemies they can be on top of the perverbial NICU mountain one day/hour and come sliding down the next. Trust me, if I had hair it would be gray. Come to think of it, maybe that's why I don't have much right now. Instead of it being gray it's just refusing to grow. Anyway, we saw our OB in the NICU this morning and he visited with us for a while. I guess during the delivery everything looked real good, until they got her back to the NICU and that's when she cratered. Evidentally it was bad, real bad. But that was yesterday and this is today. That's how we will be living for quiet a while now.

Baby Wyatt is doing good. He still has the hole in his little heart but the staff is trying to remedy that with meds for now. If it doesn't heal on it's own, surgery is the next option. They finally covered up his manhood with the smallest diaper Teri and I have seen. He still has bruising from the delivery but is looking really good.

Those two babies have got to be smallest people I have ever met, yet the love they are given could not fit in this hospital. We have been blessed to have family and friends come down and even more offer to visit. Teri's parents came down from Plainview last night as well as my parents from Childress. My mom was actually in Houston yesterday morning but my dad, nephew, and niece picked her up in Abilene yesterday evening. My cousin Crystal and her husband Tristan helped move us out of Room 327 into Teri's pickup, which was almost impossible. We were shocked to see Kelly Whatley and her youngest son Seth visit us yesterday shortly after the births. Another big shock was for my best friend Chad Cox and his wife Holly who drove in from Childress and our friend James and Nicole Clark from Mentone. More family is expecting to come this evening.

I hope nobody reading this has to go through anything like what we have but I do hope that if you or someone you know is put in this situation, understand the comments left on a blog like this one bring more hope than imiginable. These posts bring tears, courage and hope in ways undescribable. Sincerely, thank you all for everything. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

9 comments:

Courtney said...

Your babies are beautiful.

I'm amazed Teri was able to avoid a C-section, that's awesome!

We're praying for all of you!

Emily said...

Wow! Amazing... we are so thankful for the 24-hour mark since Whitley and Wyatt came into this world. We are still constantly praying over and over. I'm so glad to hear about Whitley's O2 sats were higher. She definitely is Miracle Whit! Happy One-Day Birthday, Whitley and Wyatt! We love yall!

Unknown said...

Thanks for keeping us updated on your blog. Tell Faith that I'm thinking of ya'll and if anyone needs anything, please do not hesitate to call me.

The Road Less Traveled said...

Teri & Jared,

Congrats on the birth of your son and daughter! We've been at this for a week now, and we understand completely the rollercoaster that you are on. We will continue to lift Whitley and Wyatt up in prayer and ask that God give you all strength as you travel this road. Peace and Love, Jana & Pat

aWk said...

Praise God for what he is doing in the lives of the Self family! Each breath is a miracle and you guys are witnessing it first hand. How awesome is that! Remember in all ways...acknowledge God...in all times...praise God...and in all circumstances...have faith in God! We love you!
Chad & Amanda

Crystal said...

Glad everything is going well. I know how hard a NICU stay is on the parents. You are both strong people and God has blessed you with family and friends who care about you. He has also blessed you with TWO precious miracles and Dr. Patel who (I know) cares about those babies as much as you do.

nikkitaylor8 said...

Teri & Jared,

I just wanted to say congrats on your two miracles. I will be praying for Whitley & Wyatt daily.

Anonymous said...

They are absolutely beautiful. I'm so glad to hear they are doing well. My prayer throughout your pregnancy was that you would not have to go through what Kevin and I did with NICU but just know that if you keep your focus and trust in the Lord and let Him take care of it everything will be okay. Please call me if you ever need to talk or just need someone to listen who understands were you are and what you are dealing with. Praising God for all that He has done and praying for what is yet to come.

LOL,
Heidi

Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous...I want to be there. I'm going to see Heidi and Courtney on Thursday and then I'll figure out when I can head out west. I got this post on my blog and I thought it might help you out.

Chelsea - I just emailed my friend who had her boys at 26 weeks. The boys are doing WONDERFUL now and are over 1 year. She and her husband spent A LOT of time at the NICU. Bridget has said to have Teri email her if she wants.(bridgetajones@yahoo.com) Bridget said that she emailed a friend of a friend while the boys were in the NICU and it really helped her. Bridget, Andy, Tyler and Max have a blog too: maxandtyler.blogspot.com

Take a minute and check out the blog and email them if you want. Heather is a really nice lady who is a friend of Courtney and thought that it might help you to talk to someone who has been through the same thing.

I miss and love you!!

Followers

About Me

My photo
We are currently living in West Texas. We are loving every minute of our time together out here--however, we look forward to moving closer to family soon!