Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The NICU Two-Step

When we first started this expedition, Teri and I were told that it would be a "rollercoaster ride" with the ups and downs associated with preemies. Today we went down a little.


Little Whitley, as you may recall, was extubated for about 40 minutes yesterday afternoon. She was extubated because the staff thought she was ready, and there's really no way to know for sure unless they tried. We completely understand and appreciate that. However, this time Whitley fooled them. After she was extubated we knew she was intubated again but she was later moved back to an oscillator vent, which is back down at least one or two steps from where she was. After that, it was decided that she didn't like the open atmosphere of the NICU so she was moved into her own little room. This wall we hit is really taking Teri and I a while to overcome. It sounds minor, and it is compared to other possibilities, but is a major change from where we were. It seems that when we go see the babies we tend to zone in on the O2 sats first. I know that both Teri and I want our hands to be the just the thing the baby needs at that moment to make the sats come back up, but that doesn't always work. Right or wrong, that is what we do. When we went to see them this evening, I prayed that God would show me a sign that she would be alright. Right when I finished my small prayer, her O2 sats went up. Amen.


But just like the downfalls we have our "Amens". Both babies are at 17cc's of milk/formula every three hours. They are both starting to fill out and look like little babies. Teri and I got to hold Wyatt for the second time tonight. We could actually feel him in our arms this time. I did validate that saying that mommies are special because as soon as I held him he de-satted until his mama started talking to him. I know he still loves his daddy though.


This is Wyatt relaxed.

Well, time to call it a short night. We'll be back in the morning to say hi to the babies and tell them we love them. I have to go back to work tomorrow but their mother will be here as usual to check on them and relay the progress.
Jared, Teri, Whitley, and Wyatt

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It must be so hard to go through every single rise and fall. Ya'll seem to do it with grace which must be incredibly difficult. I am still praying for those little babies and of course for ya'll. I'm glad to hear that Whitley has started improving from what must have been a truly scary time. I love you.

Amanda Kirkpatrick said...

hang in there, guys!! i know that is easy for me to say, but just know that God's hands are still working on those precious babies!!! there will come a time when your hands comfort them as well--God is just not quite through with His physical touches on them yet!! :)
i am going to tell granny faith a story that she can relay to you about what our katy said one time about God holding her in my tummy--too long for a comment box!!
keep your heads up and know that we are still praying for y'all every morning and night!!
love the new header, btw!!!

The Road Less Traveled said...

Love the pic of Wyatt with the pacifier. They gave one to Abby, but of course it was too big. It's good to hear that Whitley was able to breath on her own for 40 min. We continue to lift you all up in prayer.
Jana

granny f said...

Wyatt looks like he's grown! Can't wait to see them. We're so thankful that Whitley has responded well to the changes. A co-worker just read your blog and said Whitley's just practicing her 'princess' moves :):):)
love ya,

Randy and Charity Hodges said...

Hi Teri & Jared & Double Dubya. Which hospital in Odessa are the babies in? Also, are you getting mail at the hospital or just at home?
I love the blog - it's great to be able to read about the babies and their progress. Love you all,
Aunt Charity :)

Emily said...

This journey that yall are on is an amazing one. Always know that you are still covered in prayer. We haven't stopped praying.
That paci looks so huge on Wyatt! We miss yall!

aWk said...

I feel like I have missed out on so much! When is the last time I talked to you! WOW...we've been so busy! Back home and settled now, from the wedding. Those babies are being held in the palm of God's hand and whatever shake is being caused is nothing that God can't handle....he is always in control! Don't forget that! Love love love...to all of you!

Followers

About Me

My photo
We are currently living in West Texas. We are loving every minute of our time together out here--however, we look forward to moving closer to family soon!