Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Wyatt's Big Day and Whitley's Day to Rest







Today was a big day for the Self Family. Mr. Wyatt was bumped down to 2 Liters of flow on his vapotherm and was able to be bottle fed for the first time. What a big step. He was a champ at it as well.
I walked into the NICU this afternoon at 4 p.m. This was my third visit of the day. I had a not so fun day...so I had taken a long needed nap at the trailer before going over to the hospital. Jared has not been here the past few days. They have been at a Regional Meeting in San Angelo. I was really beginning to miss him not being here with the babies. I knew that Wyatt's feeding time with the bottle was drawing near (but not this near)! I had talked to Jared throughout the day and he insisted that he had to go back to Balmorhea. At 4 p.m., I woke up and began my walk to the hospital. I called Jared on the way to inform him that I was headed up to the NICU and would call him when I was done. I entered the NICU to be greeted by a nurse telling me that they had reduced Wyatt's flow to 2L and he would begin bottle feeding twice a day if his respirations remained low. Yea! What an exciting time. I was then told his first feeding would be at 5 if I wanted to stay and help. Of course I did!!!
I went to visit with Miss Whitley for a few minutes before Wyatt's feeding time. Me and Miss Whit were having the best conversation. At 4:50, Jared walked through the door. What a big surprise. He came at the right time...just in time for Wyatt's feeding. It was such an answered prayer for him to be here during this special time.
The pictures were taken with my cell phone...so sorry if the pics aren't the best. However, a NICU friend that I have met (the Triplet mom) saw what a special time this was and zoomed in on us with her camera to snap a special pic for us. This a big NoNo is the NICU but we won't tell.
Wyatt is on 35cc's of milk every 3 hours. He took 30 cc's his first feeding with no problem whatsoever. He did so well. His next feeding will be at 5 a.m. so I am going to go to the NICU at 4:45 to help with that feeding. I want to be there if I can.
Miss Whitley is doing well. She is down to 4 L of flow on her vapotherm and at 29% oxygen. She is taking 20 cc's of milk every 3 hours. She looks so good. I love putting little bow on her head. She doesn't seem to mind it as well. I can't wait until we can start bottle feeding her. Once we get her down to 2 L of flow we can begin with her as well!
They are both doing so amazing and we are so blessed to have such a great NICU staff caring for our two little angels. God Bless!
Teri, Jared, Whitley, and Wyatt



8 comments:

granny f said...

How exciting! You & Jared look like pros with the bottle feeding. Oh, those babies are precious. "In all things give thanks". God is so good...

hollylindley said...

They are getting so big!! What an exciting day and I'm glad you were both there. They are adorable!

Crystal said...

They are so precious! It looks like they are getting much bigger. Whitley's face seems to be filling out, too. So adorable. Bottle feeding is just one major step closer to bringing them home!!!

Anonymous said...

Yeah for bottle feeding....not so much for 5:00am. I'm guessing you're going to be more pleasant for this exciting occassion that you would normally be in the morning:) We all know how you like your sleepytime.

I'm so excited to hear about the bottle feeding....it sounds like the little ones are getting prepared for the trip back home.

Jackie said...

How precious they are! I love seeing all the pictures even if they were NoNo's! It won't be long before you all will be home! Wyatt looks like Jared, and Whitley looks like you. How beautiful they are. It was nice seeing Jared while they were here in San angelo.Take Care!

Ericka Moore Photography said...

I just found your blog and I am so excited to see the pictures of you feeding your little guy! Glad they are doing good.

Dani said...

I just started following your blog. My daughter Soli was born 12/11/08 and was 1.9 If you ever wanna talk comment me www.silvazoo.blogspot.com

Emily said...

That is just SO great! Their faces really do seem to be filling out. I am so proud of Wyatt for taking the bottle so well. Whitley is stylin' in her cute little hat!

Followers

About Me

My photo
We are currently living in West Texas. We are loving every minute of our time together out here--however, we look forward to moving closer to family soon!